Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Rushed pleasure

  1. #1
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I did make some code purchases over the past two months. I didn't plan on making so many but it just worked out that way. Alas, the past two months were filled to the brim with busyness and I didn't have time to enjoy all the treasures. I don't know how many times I'd open a new AG box, stuff the contents in the closet and get rid of packaging just in time to rush out the door to an obligation.

    I was looking at someone's album and saw Licorice's Best Friend outfit comes with nifty beaded sandals. Really? How did I miss that as I put the outfit away? And how many other fine details do I have tucked away in the closet without a second glance? I'll bet there are features of my new items that I've never even seen before.

    Many years ago I was a young bride and a department store was going out of business. Everything was at least 80% off. But all I could afford was one set of sheets and a glass bowl. That's it. Even at 80% off! I vowed then that I'd never again let go of a great deal.

    Well now that I've gotten that good deal, I'm facing a small mound of debt and the bloated feeling that I rushed too fast eating the exquisite dessert. I'm determined to work hard to pay the debt first. And then, piece by piece, I'm going to give my new items the full attention that I used to lavish on AG treasures. I really miss that.

    I feel better having said this. That one set of sheets and the glass bowl weren't so bad. I don't want the process and pleasure of "getting" an item to be greater than the pleasure of actually "having" it.

    Julia

  2. #2
    Inactive Member kamakajr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I really appreciated reading this post! I think I have been so focused on acquiring that I have forgotten to enjoy what I have.

    Because I purchase so much from AG anyway throughout the year, the code has been the deal of the century for me. When I add up my savings (what I would have ended up paying anyway), it is quite significant. Notwithstanding that, however, acquiring too much in a short period of time has its downside, too.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member sewfancydolldesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2005
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have also been guilty of doing the same thing. But, instead of purchasing mostly accessories and outfits, I've actually used the code to replace my AG doll collection which I sold a few years ago. I'm happy that I've been able to buy the dolls with a $10 discount each, but I've acquired them so close together that I haven't been able to savor each dolly arrival. Well, I'm done until Elizabeth is released, so now I plan to kick back and start sewing for these great girls. I have been reading all their books to get to know them again and that helps me to connect with each doll.

    Patricia

  4. #4
    Inactive Member nycgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know exactly what you mean. I have actually managed to refrain from buying anything with the code that wasn't on sale or monthly special (mostly because I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't so cheap!). I've been very tempted to buy full price things to complete my collection with the code, but I just can't bring myself to because (aside from having very limited funds!) I'm afraid the newness will wear off, like you said. I think it's a great idea to take everything out slowly and appreciate it individually. That way the old excitement will definitely come back. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    P.S. Julia, did you ever name your new French AGOT?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have the same feeling, too. I put about half the stuff I bought away in the closet and plan on bringing it out little by little so that I can "savor" it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member kitti515's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have done much the same thing - bought many orders with the code only to check them over and put them away. Some of these I may not get to fully enjoy for years because they're for dolls I don't have yet. However, I'm glad I got them with the code now since they may not be around when I finally do get those dolls. I figure after all these code orders, I can take a few months off to save and enjoy all my purchases.

    - Becca

  7. #7
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    I understand the feeling as well Julia, but I am glad that I was able to get the things I have for a better price than I would have without the code. Ten dollars here and there might not seem like much, but when you add the hundred or so orders, it quickly adds up. I have checked everything that has come in to make sure it is okay, but then I have put everything back in its box to be enjoyed for a later time. We just don't have the room to have everything out right now. As we take one thing out at a time, it will be like getting it for the first time and we can enjoy each item individually.

    Kim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •